Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Application process 3

Okay, so I had completed the interview with Fr. Hirsch and in that process completed the impediments to Ordination questionnaire.

The one possible hang up that Fr. Hirsch and I discussed is the fact that I still owe money on my truck. Although I am debt free in all other ways this could be a problem. As a seminarian I won't have many expenses since the Diocese pays for tuition, room, and board. But a seminarian is not allowed to work off campus and only receives a $250 a month stipend. So any debt could be a problem. We left it at just me working at it until I start seminary and then try to figure out what I have left if I will need to sell my truck or what may happen. I am now far enough ahead to have breathing room on this front.

After that meeting I got to meet up with one of my very good priest friends. Father Tom Lindner drove over to La Crosse to take me out to supper to celebrate my decision to apply for seminary. As I have said in previous posts he was very instrumental in the deepening of my faith and my discovering my vocation in life.

Father Tom and I talked about many things, toasted my decision and had a really great time celebrating this decision to follow His will. We hadn't gotten together since I had told him of the decision.

The next day I had my psychological evaluation as part of the application process. I had to take about 6 hours of book tests and the psychologist was scoring them as I went. We wrapped it up with a discussion on the results.

It turns out that I am an extrovert (shouldn't surprise anyone who knows me) while most people going into seminary and most priests are actually introverts. This surprised me based on the amount of interaction with people that a priest has... But it does make sense on the prayer and thoughtfulness side of things.

I also showed a strong sense of personal right and wrong while not being a very judgemental person, traits that don't often go together but I hope will be good for my life as a priest.

Another trait that the psychologist "found" (I could have told him all of this if he had just asked) was that I do crave the support of people and a need for interaction. Along with that I have a strong desire for affection and friendships, especially with females, while rating fairly low on the desire for the physical actions which so often in our society are assumed to go along with that. That is another thing that I could have told him as most of my really close friends are women.

One thing that the psychologist said that I took some level of offense to was that I had tripped the indicators for a person trying to make a good impression on the test. I had made it a point to go fast on the tests and not over think the questions so as to not get into wondering what they may be wanting in it. The answers I gave were as honest as they could get. I asked if it was possible that I really was those "good" ways, and he said yes, it is just some triggers that causes them to look twice.

Well, since I had forgotten to post last nights until today this is two posts in a day so I'll end here.

Peace,
Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment