Thursday, July 8, 2010

What got me to this point 3

So, in the spring and summer of 2005 I tried hard to figure out if God was calling me to be a priest. I was living life as I had for a long time, lots of work, lots of fun, and lots of prayer… I prayed about the normal stuff that I always had: thanks for the many blessings He had given me in my life, asking for the blessings to continue for me and for those that I loved. I also prayed for some undeniable sign as to what His will was for my life, however, I am not sure that I was listening too well. I wanted some big voice from the sky to come and tell me what to do.
That fall back at UWSP I met many new wonderful friends who again were all active in practicing their faith in the church that Christ gave us. I was beginning to realize that my time at church and the people I met there were the best parts of my life… but that didn’t mean that I had to be a priest did it? It could just mean that I was called as all are to live whatever avenue we take in life in a holy and loving way. I could continue on the life that I had planned and set a lot of time for service to His church into my “normal” life that I was going to live. That didn’t mean that I wasn’t thinking still about being a priest, I was probably just questioning what I was thinking and feeling.
At some point during the fall of 2005 I began to think that I should do something different in my discernment… I obviously wasn’t figuring anything out the way that I was going about it now. In my head I decided that I probably should go to seminary after graduation… more for discernment reasons then because I was convinced God wanted me to be a priest. I think that the prayerful structure and direction given at a seminary would have been wonderful for figuring out what God’s will is. I didn’t tell anyone about this decision… I didn’t want to be treated as weird or have people expect more of me just because I was going this route… I wanted to live a “normal” college life for the rest of my time at UWSP.


I am writing this before work, and that is all the time that I have for today… more later.
Peace,
Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment