Thursday, July 22, 2010

The application process 1

"What was I going to do about it?". I knew what I needed to do.

I was going to apply for seminary, that's what. God gives us free will to choose what we do in our life, but our life will be best, and happiest if we do His will.

The night that I made the decision to follow God's will and apply for seminary was wonderful. I was filled with such a sense of peace in my life that I can't even begin to describe it. This doesn't mean that there aren't question or that I didn't know about the challenges of what I was getting into, but that I knew He would lead me and guide me through.

A day or two later I sent an e-mail to the vocations director for the Diocese of La Crosse, Fr. Joe Hirsch. I also spoke on the phone to Fr. Hirsch and he e-mailed me the initial forms I would need to fill out.

Those forms included a standard application to get basic personal information. A questionnaire which wanted sentence or paragraph length answers to questions about my faith, church involvement, and thoughts on the priesthood was also involved. I had to provide a list of name and addresses of people who might be willing to write letters of recommendation for me.

The last thing that Fr. Hirsch wanted right away was for me to write a short autobiography. Although much of the information to be in the autobiography was already covered it was a format to expand on the ideas of my upbringing, life experience, faith experience, and thoughts about the priesthood and why I wanted to be a priest.

I got to work on these forms and the autobiography right away. Now that I was convinced of God's will being for me to go to seminary I was excited!

Peace,
Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment