Tuesday, July 6, 2010

What got me to this point 2

I ended the last post with having talked to Fr. Tom about the possibility of God wanting me to be a priest. I took his advice to heart. I spent time reading books about the priesthood and especially reading books that included vocation stories of how someone else had come to dedicate their life to Christ and the Church He founded. I really enjoyed reading these vocation stories and even to this day I am amazed at the diversity of people that God calls to serve him.

In January of 2005, during winter break from classes I took Father Tom up on his idea and offer to visit a seminary. We talked about the days that would work for it and he arranged everything else. We were heading to Mundelein Seminary, in Mundelein Illinois. This is where Father Tom went to seminary and knew a few of the students, so that I could acompany one around to classes and ask questions of him.
When we got to Mundelein I met with a seminarian who is a friend of Fr. Tom. He was a student in the pre-theology program so fairly new to the seminary himself, but he had been feeling for years that he was called to the priesthood.

I truly enjoyed attending the classes with him and got the understanding that although the classes at seminary are challenging, it wouldn't take a super genious to get through them. That is one question that I had been wondering... I was (and still am) a bit intimidated with the academics, the topics studied are stuff that I am interested in but that I have never formally studied on my own.
In addition to going to class I was able to go to prayer time and Mass with the seminarians, very moving. I also was able to spend "off" time with the seminarians. Going out to eat with Fr. Tom, Brother Henry, and two of the seminarians for some wonderful conversation. I also was able to sit in on an evening gathering among the seminarians as they relaxed from the week. It was very nice to see that the seminarians weren't walking around all day in silent prayer. They were normal guys who felt that God was calling them to serve Him in this way.

Upon return to UWSP after the visit to Mundelein I had some serious questions to consider. I pretty much just continued on with life... classes, social times, prayer, and whatever else I was doing at the time. I had such an amazing group of friends that I was busy constantly. I did find time to continue to read vocation stories and other books relating to the priesthood.

Peace,
Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment