Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Finals Week Spring quarter 2010-2011

Hello again,
First a note that I hope to keep updating this blog during the summer, but I’m not sure what sort of internet access I will have during this time. I may type up posts and then have to upload a few at a time, sorry, we’ll have to see how it goes. This summer I am going to be a chaplain at a Boy Scout camp in Holmen, WI. This is the camp that I went to most of the time when I was a scout growing up, so I am very excited about it. I don’t really know what all my duties will be; I’ll have to write more about that as I find out more.

This is finals week. It is hard to believe that in less than a week I will be done with my first year of seminary studies. Wow, has this time gone fast. When I try to think back on all that I have done this school year I am amazed that it has been fit into such a short period of time. I feel that I have grown in many ways. This includes the academic, the practical, and the spiritual. I think that I had a pretty good spiritual life coming into here, but I have grown in my appreciation for the formal liturgical celebrations of the Church. I think that practically I’ve grown in quite a few ways.

Academically I have so much greater of an understanding of a wide variety of topics. As I have said before, these first two years are focused on philosophical studies, and I have seen the development of where human thought developed (western thought mainly) to the point that we were able to better understand religion and divine revelation. I am sure that I will continue in this next year. I have also had a pretty good overview of churchy type of topics, such as the Catechism of the Catholic Church and introductions to both the Old and the New Testament studies. I have even struggled through a year of Latin studies… I have done my best and have only the final to go in it. I am not very proficient, but I believe that the goal of exposure to Latin has been met.

My finals schedule isn’t really that overloaded. I am supposed to have two tests Thursday and two on Friday but I was able to move one from Friday to tomorrow (Wednesday). I did this because I have to get on the road since one of my best friends is getting married on Saturday. I am the best man in the wedding so I really should try to be there for the rehearsal. I am pretty excited about this wedding. Although I have been in the wedding party at many weddings, this is my first time as the best man.

One thing that is making this week even busier is that I am moving rooms. I can’t remember if I wrote about this or not. To help a guy get used to seminary they have those of us who are new to the seminary process live on two hallways (cams) together. After this year we move to a place where we will be for the next five years. I have been packing up all of my stuff little by little and moving it over. Thankfully the room that I have been assigned for next year is unoccupied already so I don’t have to wait for a guy to move out before I can move in. I am not able to set up the room as I will have it because there is a project this summer to install fire sprinklers in all of the rooms to bring them up to the code that will be implemented in Illinois in 2012. So I have been just piling stuff in an area out of the way, not setting it up as I’d like to, but that is the way it goes.

The last week and a half has been kind of interesting around here. Since the class of 2011 has graduated it is interesting to see which guys have already taken off to get ready for their ministry and which are spending time here, either working on further degrees or just using this time for preparation. Some have known where they will be assigned for a while now, others are only finding out a day or two before their Ordination. Please keep them all in your prayers as they work to fulfill God’s call in their lives.

Peace,
Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment