Monday, August 9, 2010

Application process 6

After my meetings with the diocesan review board and the Diocesan Administrator I was on to the actual seminaries application process.

The process of applying for the seminary was similar to applying for the Diocese. I had several standard paperwork forms, some of which I was able to just take the same answers I had given to the Diocese. Other questions required a slight reworking of what I had written since the questions were only slightly different. I don't remember many if any questions that were totally different.

The biggest difference was in the set up of the review boards. At the seminary there were three separate boards with two people each on them.
The first of these boards that I had was with the Rector of the seminary and the Dean of Formation. This one asked most of the standard questions that one would expect. Questions about why I felt I should come to the seminary and basic get-to-know-ya questions. They did say that they were the only ones there who had or would review the psychological evaluation, and asked a bit about my impression of what I remembered from that. The Rector of a seminary is basically like a president or chancellor of a normal college, of course with a little difference. So this board was mostly to see if they felt that my coming there would in any way be detrimental to the seminary (I guess they didn't).

The next board that I had was the academic board. This included the Dean of Academics and a member of the academic faculty... I forget what he teaches. In this one they were looking to see if they felt I could handle the academics involved in the seminary. They asked about my past coursework and how I had been challenged in it. I was asked about my study habits (and for some reason they are still letting me in). This was pretty straight forward, but also odd in the fact that I had never been asked some of their questions, so hadn't known much of what was coming.

The last review board that I had at the seminary was the formation board. This included the Vice Dean of Formation and another member of the formation faculty. While seminary obviously forms a man academically in the knowledge he will need for priesthood, this is so much more. Formation includes a man's prayer life, his life of service, and just how he lives as a good Christian. So in this board I was asked about my prayer life, what I had and where I felt I could improve. I was asked about my experiences in service to Christ, His Church, and His people. I was also asked about other aspects in my life so they could get a feel for where I was at in life.

I left feeling pretty good about my review boards. While their normal way of letting a man know if he has been accepted or not is by a letter a week or two later I asked for a phone call, since if I was accepted I wanted to give my work as much notice as possible.

That is enough for tonight. I will write more soon.

Peace,
Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment