Thursday, September 6, 2012

Orientation at St. Paul Seminary


Hello again,
My first class at St. Paul Seminary School of Divinity is today.  I have been here about a week for orientation and am getting pretty settled in.  I have had a lot of people ask me to compare the differences between here and Mundelein Seminary where I was at.  There are a lot of small differences, but on the whole there is a lot that is the same.  It is a major seminary still where men participate in their final years of formation for the priesthood.  That is the essential and that is the same at both places.  I really want to hold off on comparisons until I’ve been here a bit longer.

Orientation was great.  It was a combination between getting to know what we needed to live here and growing fellowship amongst the new guys.  The orientation included guys starting in pre-theology and starting in theology.  Here they didn’t divide us apart as much as they had at Mundelein so it took quite a while to get a feel for who is in my class in first theology and who is in pre-theology. 

We did a lot of social activities, spiritual activities and generally getting us the information we needed.  For social activities we have had a pizza party, watched a movie, gone on a dinner cruise on the St. Croix River, among other things.  Spiritually we have of course had Mass every day and liturgy of hours.  We also did a one day pilgrimage to the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe in La Crosse, to spend time praying together away from the seminary.  It has been a fun week, but so much more than that.  The guys that I am with are great.

I know this is a lot of generalities, but I wanted to give just a quick update of what I’ve been up to here.

Peace,
Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment