Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Discernment update after two years in seminary


Hello again,
I know that I have not updated how my discernment of my vocation has been going in a long time.  Wow, with that starting line, let me tell you right away that I am staying in seminary, so you don’t think that I am saying that I am leaving seminary based on that line.  All of what I’m telling you in this has been discussed with my spiritual director at Mundelein, along with other priests and seminarians that I trust.

It has now been over two years since I first showed up at Mundelein Seminary.  Tomorrow I move to St. Paul seminary.  At Mundelein I completed the pre-theology program and in St. Paul I will be beginning the Theology program.  This is a big transition that I am excited for and that I think will help me to figure out in life if the life of a priest is what I’m called to, a change of perspective often seems to help me clarify things.

This past year has been a great struggle for me as discernment is concerned.  Towards the end of my first year of pre-theology I began to seriously wonder if I was doing the right thing being in seminary.  However, I knew at that time that I had to keep moving forward in seminary because I did have enough thought that I was called to be a priest so I wanted to keep giving that to God. 

Over the summer after first pre-theology I was at the Boy Scout camp as you know if you’ve read this.  I thought that the time at scout camp would be good for me to discern, I thought that either I would love the ministry side completely or I would feel the great desire to be a dad to a kid like what I was dealing with.  The problem was that I felt both, so it wasn’t very helpful for discernment.

Returning to Mundelein for second pre-theology I had some doubts still, but had enough thought that I was called to being a priest that I felt the need to continue on discerning.  This was really challenged when I soon found out that the job I had previously dreamed of had opened up.  I was really tempted to apply for that job, but I knew that I owed it to God to stay in seminary and continue to discern my vocation in life.

During second pre-theology I continued to discern through prayer, thinking, and talking to priests and seminarians I trust.  Often I felt like I was spinning my wheels in this discernment, I wasn’t getting much clarity one way or the other.  I then began to look at myself quite a bit.  I looked at my love for the Eucharist… as I examined it through prayer I knew for sure that I love the whole Eucharist, but I am especially drawn to the Precious Blood.  I am not sure if this truly means anything, but I spent a lot of time praying about that.  I was reminded of a permanent Deacon told me one time about his love for the Precious Blood and how the Deacon is the official minister of the cup. 

This thinking opened up a whole new line of thought, maybe I am called to the permanent Deaconate after marriage.  This took a lot of my discernment.  I know some people who say that the permanent Deaconate is a “best of both worlds” thing, but I see it as truly a separate vocation and calling.  I hadn’t thought of the permanent Deaconate in a long time in regards to myself.  So now I was trying to discern between the three vocations that hold attraction to me at all: Priesthood, Permanent Deaconate after marriage, and marriage without Deaconate.  I don’t see any sign that I feel called to the single life as a vocation, so I really don’t think of that much.

As the year went on with my discussions with others I tried to figure this out, I still felt that there was enough of a chance that I’m called to the priesthood that I want to continue in seminary, at least for now, maybe all the way to Ordination. 

Discernment is part of why I am very excited about the transfer to St. Paul Seminary.  I think that a change in setting and people will help me to clarify what God is calling me to.  I am so excited about that. 

I promised myself when I started this blog that I would always be honest with anyone who reads it about where I was at discernment wise so that is why I wrote this.  I ask you all to keep me, and all those discerning God’s call in their life in your prayers.

On another note, I wrote this post over a long period of time, so I hope that the choppiness of it doesn’t matter too much.

Peace,
Adam

5 comments:

  1. "I don’t see any sign that I feel called to the single life as a vocation, so I really don’t think of that much."

    Part of being a priest is being called to the single life. If you feel strongly about thus statement you should really contemplate what it means for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul,
      I don't know you so I don't know how familiar you are with discernment terminology but I had written the post on the assumption that people are familiar with it either from their own life or my previous posts. The Church talks about four vocations: religious life, diocesan priesthood, marriage, and single life. Priesthood is unmarried but in this context is not single life.
      I hope this helps you.
      peace,
      Adam

      Delete
  2. Adam, I like the candor and openness of you sharing the process of discernment. I commend you on continuing the direction you chose at one point until you "really" have discerned one way or another. Especially that is important when temptation for an alternative and possibly "easier" route. Finally, in reference to Paul Clark's comment above. First I don't see the life of a Priest being "a single life". I see it as an accompanied life at all times and flooded with other purpose of interaction with others at all times. Also, I didn't read your comment (quoted above) in the context other than you attempting to clarify that you see yourself as a Priest or part of a traditional marriage and hopefully with children. That is to say, I believe Mr. Clark may have missed the context of what YOU meant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Adam -

    I stumbled across your blog accidently, in research for a play I'm working on.

    My play deals with this very process of discernment. Though this blog has already proven very enlightening, I'd love to chat at some point if that is at all interesting to you.

    Thanks so much for your candor and thoughtfulness.

    try me at mattdellapina@yahoo.com

    best,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, I wrote you an e-mail but didn't hear back. My e-mail address is ajinseminary@gmail.com

      Peace,
      Adam

      Delete