Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Week 8 Fall 2011-2012

Hello again,

This past weekend was my first weekend with no major obligations in quite some time.  It was very nice to be able to relax and get some things done. 

One of the cool things that I have started to get into lately is a young adult ministry program at a church not too far away.  I was invited to an event that they were having by a friend of mine from college who goes to that church and is on the leadership team for this young adult ministry group.  I enjoyed the event and the people there.  I was asked if I had any tips for the ministry program.  It sounds like at that church they had a decent young adult ministry that kind of fizzled out but they are trying to get it going again.  I have been part of a good young adult ministry program and a not so good one, so I do have some ideas and look forward to the possibility of helping them with this.

I think that young adult ministry is one thing that the church needs to get better at, and fast.  The Catholic Church has long been pretty decent at young family ministry, and I think it is getting pretty good at campus ministry for the college students but there is a gap in between when many people feel neglected by the Church and we could improve.  I hope that I can help with this group, and give myself the enjoyment of participating in it.

Today would have been my sister’s birthday.  She would have been 39 today, but she died almost 9 years ago.  She had been born with numerous birth defects that we suspect are related to Agent Orange exposure.  I never knew her much.  She lived in the home of another family most of my life.  This family was able to take great care of her and I am thankful for them every time that I think of it.  I kind of get sad because while I had a sister I never got to experience the things that most people do with their sisters.  I never get in trouble for pulling her hair or got to see her go to prom or get married.  I occasionally think of this and it kind of gets me down.

I am happy to think that she is in heaven now though.  I have no doubt about this.  In the Catholic understanding there is no question about this since with her physical and mental limitations she could not understand right and wrong and thus could not sin.  She was baptized to wipe away the stain of original sin and since she could not sin she is most assuredly in Heaven.  This makes me happy and I pray that I will be able to join her there when my time on Earth is finished.  I like to think of her in Heaven free of all the limitations that she experienced in this world. 

Well, that is the goings on with me for now.  I hope everyone has a Blessed week.

Peace,
Adam

1 comment:

  1. So true about young adult ministry. When I first moved to Davenport I couldn't find an active young adult group at any of the area Catholic churches, so I went to a young-adult Bible study at a nondenominational Christian church instead. I enjoyed it and met lots of friendly young people. Not that I'm converting, but I can see how the Church could lose some young adults that way.
    And I am so sorry about your sister... as you said, she is loving you from heaven.

    ReplyDelete