Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Dad's visit and more

Hello again,

So the big thing to type about this week was family day here at the seminary on Saturday.  It is a day of great joy with quite a large turnout for families coming here.  I enjoy meeting the families of my seminary brothers a lot.

To make it even better, I got to see my dad.  His trip in just happened to coincide with family day, but it was nice to be able to take advantage of all that was offered.  My dad had ridden the motorcycle from his home in Montana to Wisconsin at the beginning of September to help one of his sister-in-laws to drive out to spend time with them in Montana.  Last week they drove back to WI and after spending some time with my brother and his family, and some time getting the motorcycle worked on my dad came down on Friday to see me.  We got him settled into his room and then went out for pizza with one of my classmates whom I am good friends with.  It was great spending this time with him and talking.

I showed my dad around the seminary a bit and then on Saturday we took part in a few of the activities.  I showed him the book store here and he bought me two polo shirts with the logo on them, which was very nice of him.  We then sat in on a mock lecture regarding the importance of liturgy in the faith and the importance of adhering to liturgical norms since the liturgy is the prayer of the entire church.  I was a bit concerned how my dad would handle this since religion has never been a big part of his life, however, he really enjoyed it and was glad that we had attended.

After that we did a little bit of work on the bike, we didn’t get the problem fixed, but decided that the indicator light he had on was a sensor making a bad connection and not really the problem that it indicated.  We followed that by lunch and then the wonderful architecture tour that they offer on campus for family day.  The professor that leads this tour does an absolutely amazing job of describing all the thought that went into the design of the buildings on this campus.  He gives a great deal of background and insight.  I can’t even begin to go into detail describing what he talks about, but it is amazing.

After that my dad and I went out for a nice supper and time together.  He left on Sunday morning.  It was great to be able to spend time with him and to show him this part of my life.

Classes are of course busy, as well as all the other stuff that we have going on.  At my field education we had one last night of preparing for the people that we will serve starting this Thursday.  We were reorganizing the supplies and cleaning up the store room.  I am excited for the people to start coming in.  I am sure I will tell you about it in future posts.

Last Thursday morning I was able to participate in a special Mass offered by the retired Archbishop that I have for my Vatican II class.  He invited me to participate since he was offering the Mass for my friend Casey who was hurt seriously hurt and his wife.  Casey is doing much better.  Last Thursday or Friday the doctors told Carolyn that it appears that Casey MIGHT be able to regain some sensation in his lower extremities, but it is still too early to tell.  This is a great step up from the sure paralysis that was being told to them.  Casey was moved yesterday from the ICU to a normal hospital room, so he is making great strides.

That is again enough for now.  Have a Blessed week everyone.

Peace,
Adam


No comments:

Post a Comment