Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Class retreat


Hi everyone,

It is midterm week, and I have exams in three of my five classes and another exam next week. So, needless to say my nose is in a book most of my free time.

Last Friday my class went to a convent in Racine, WI for a short retreat. Most of the seminarians here have a cam retreat (remember, a cam is the hallway that people live on). Since the first year Pre-Theology guys like me all live on two cams, and some years one, ours is done as a class retreat. It was a very, very short retreat. From the time that we left until the time that most guys got back was only a bit over 21 hours… and two of those hours were driving, plus sleep time.

The convent that we went to is called the Siena Center, at least on the side that is open for retreats, other than that it is the motherhouse of the Racine Dominican Sisters. It is a very nice set up for a retreat.

We ate supper and prayed evening prayer together at the seminary before heading out. When we got to the convent we took a little bit of time to organize our rooms and then met for a talk by a couple of my classmates. The theme of the retreat was “Who do you say that I am?” which is a quote from Jesus talking to St. Peter. The first talk was on the biblical images of Jesus.

After that we had a bit of free time and then prayed night prayer together. After night prayer I was leading Taize prayer. This is a musical prayer in which a simple verse of prayer is repeatedly sung as a guide towards meditation. Some of the guys had never prayed using Taize prayer, they seemed to like it. Taize is one of my favorite forms of prayer so I was glad that I could lead that.

Some guys went to bed, while some took a walk down to Lake Michigan which the convent’s property touches. A few of us just sat around playing cards and relaxing in each other’s company without school or obligation time immediately hanging over our heads.

In the morning we prayed Morning Prayer and had Mass before going to breakfast. After breakfast was another talk, this one on the priestly image of Jesus. We followed that by a break for relaxation and games. I went and sat by the lake for a bit in prayer before returning to the group room and joining in a game of charades. We all gathered together and prayed a rosary together while going for a walk outdoors. The rosary ended right about the time for lunch. After lunch was one more talk on where we are going in our growth towards trying to be as much like Christ as we are able. The retreat ended with a short closing prayer.

Since I was in Wisconsin already I had decided that I would go and visit one of my good friends for a bit after the retreat. I went over and had some homemade chili and watched a bit of the semi-final game before heading back to the seminary to study.

Sunday I was visited by a good friend. She had been not too far away visiting some family so decided to stop in at the seminary for Mass on her way through. We also went to breakfast at the refectory and I gave her a tour of the campus before she headed home and I went back to my studies.

Aside from prayer time, class time, work at the library, and studies the only other thing that I give quite a bit of time to is working out. We have a nice little weight room on campus and a gym with an indoor pool too. In addition to that the loop around the lake on campus can be either 2.5 or 3 miles depending on if you go the outer loop or not. As I have said I had gained quite a bit of weight with the thyroid cancer a couple of years ago. I am happy to say that I had lost 10 pounds from my peak before coming here and as of this morning I have lost 30 pounds since being here. I had hoped for a bit more, but at least it is going in the right direction.

Well, back to the books.

Peace,
Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment