Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Finishing "spring" break 2010-2011

Hello again,
I hope that everyone’s Lent is off to a great start, that you are using this time to come closer to God. I can’t believe that it has been a week since I last posted, and over two weeks since I’ve really written about what is going on in my life. I need to finish up what I had done on my last break before I can get into the goings on thus quarter.

I think that I had stopped on Thursday morning of the first week of break, after the all night prayer vigil had ended. I took a long nap on Thursday since I didn’t have anything really to do anyways. I probably slept for 4 or 5 hours, plus the hour I had gotten early in the morning. When I finally woke up I noticed that I had missed several phone calls (I had put my phone on silent). The staff at the parish was trying to get ahold of me to invite me to lunch, it turns out that a good friend from when I was in college was in town. His wife had some convention for work so he took off and came up with her to have a mini vacation. I had missed the call but did end up getting to see them for a late lunch on Friday after my next talk at the middle school and after her conference ended. Thursday night I went to a UW-SP men’s basketball game, it was the semi-finals for the WIAC, the conference for most of the public universities in Wisconsin.

My talk on Friday went well, it was in my friend’s classroom and actually it probably was the least of my talks since the students just didn’t give me as good of answers to work with, or questions. After the talk I had the lunch that I previously mentioned and then went over to the Newman Parish for a bit. Father Tom was taking a college student part way towards a “come and see” weekend at a convent in Eastern Wisconsin so he invited me and a retired priest friend to ride along and have a nice dinner in Appleton where we were meeting up with this girl’s parents who were taking her the rest of the way.

Saturday I got to go to another Pointer’s basketball game. This was the WIAC final which Point won very handily. To make the game even better my friend who I used to go to many of the basketball games with and her boyfriend drove up to watch the game with me, and then we went out to dinner and conversation at one of our favorite restaurants from our college days. These two have been dating for a while and I could tell that something was up by talking to her boyfriend and he did indeed propose to her less than a week later, so I am very happy for them.

Sunday I went to both of the Masses at Newman, I was the server (altar boy) for the Sunday evening Mass. I really enjoy the opportunity to do that when I back there, as I have said we aren’t allowed to serve or read at first here at the seminary because of the installations of acolytes and lectors.

Monday I had another talk at the middle school that I think went the best of all of them, and then I hit the road to head towards my mom’s. As far as I remember I took Tuesday as a down day, I think that I only went out to go to Mass at 12:10 in Winona. Wednesday I went to the morning Mass in Holmen and after that I met up with Fr. Malin for a light breakfast and to talk for a bit over an hour. It is great to see him when I am able to; he has had such an influence on my life. Some sad news that I found out when I was with him was that one of his brothers had recently died, so it was a bit of a toned down conversation, but still great none-the-less. Wednesday night I met up with my mom, her husband, my brother and sister-in-law, and my nephew for pizza. There is a unique restaurant in La Crosse that makes all sorts of pizzas with crazy topping combinations and brings them around as samplers, so we went there. I used to like it a lot, but all of that is a bit over the top for me now but my nephew enjoyed it.

Thursday I don’t remember what I did during the day but in the Evening I went to the house of some good friends for dinner and to spend time with them. We went out for a drink and then I headed back to my mom’s. Friday I packed up to head back to the seminary. I was meeting the same guy whose bachelor party had been about two weeks before and his fiancé for dinner before heading out. I am very much looking forward to their wedding this May. I picked up the same guy who I had given a ride home to and we headed out at about 6:30 I think to come back to the seminary. We had some rain to drive through and since the temperatures were hovering right about the freezing mark I took it easy in case it froze but we made decent time anyways.

Saturday was still break and I took the opportunity to head up to Madison to experience the historic protests against the so called “budget repair bill”. I am very glad that I was able to make that trip and stand up for what is right. I think that everyone acknowledged that all people have to give in on some financial matters, but simply that this bill went too far. I didn’t stay all that long as I had stuff to get done, but I really enjoyed my time at this protest.

Well, that pretty much finishes out my break, I will write about the classes for the new quarter soon. In fact, I may write it now and just wait a day or two to post it so I’m not overloading.

Peace,
Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment