Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Finals week winter 2010-2011

Hello again,
So it has been an interesting week and a half since I last wrote. We are now in finals week so I had a lot of papers to write and many other things to get done… which is the reason that it has taken so long.

One important thing that happened since I last wrote was of course the Packers winning the Superbowl. Every year one of the cams on campus hosts a Superbowl party in one of the recreation halls. They had both the normal big screen TV that is in the room and they rigged up a projector with a sheet on the wall to watch to, giving more space. It was very cool, they ordered in a bunch of pizzas and had snacks and iced cream for all that wanted it (I didn’t partake more than a couple of slices of pizza because I am trying to lose weight). I am sure that the party would have been even bigger if the Chicago Bears had made the Superbowl, since they are the hometown team, but there are many Packers fans here too, plus the guys who just like football in general it was great fun to watch the game with a big group.

I spent a lot of time writing papers over that weekend and since as I said. One of the more interesting papers that I wrote was analyzing the use of the atomic bombs during WWII based on the Principle of Double Effect. The Principle of Double Effect is a method in which one can systematically look at an action and determine if a negative effect is allowable from the performance of an action. It includes 4 points to analyze, each of them must be met. The four points are: 1) The act must be good in itself or at least neutral 2) The good outcome may not be obtained directly because of the evil effect 3) The evil must not be intended for itself but only tolerated 4) The good must be proportionally grave to outweigh the evil. As I said, an act must meet all 4 points to be justifiable, I found that the use of the atomic weapons could reasonably be seen to meet points 1 and 3 but failed on point 2. I determined that the 4th point was completely in doubt and too murky to know, and a neutral on one of the points equates to a fail. So in my paper I argued that the use of the atomic weapons was not justifiable, however, that is easy to say in hindsight and may have been different at the time based on what was known.

The flu really hit the seminary hard over the last two weeks or so. I guess that is to be expected with us all living in such close quarters and so many of us going to hospitals and nursing homes for field education. I had gotten the flu shot last fall, and thought that I wasn’t getting the flu. I did end up being pretty sick Thursday through Sunday but am pretty much over it now. Last Wednesday the guy that I go to the nursing home with was down sick so he didn’t go, rather than risk infecting those that we are ministering to. He had been scheduled to give the reflection during the communion service, so I had to figure out something to say on Wednesday morning. I didn’t have time to write it out word for word as I have shared here in the past, but I put down a few notes on the thoughts that I had and I think that it turned out pretty good. I may try to reconstruct it out of my notes so that I can share it, but I’m not sure if that would work so well… we’ll have to see.

Last Wednesday we had a Mass to install Acolytes. For the most part people would know acolytes as servers or altar boys/girls. There is a bit more to the official ministry of Acolyte. An acolyte is primarily one who assists in preparing for the celebration of the Eucharist and in the purification of the sacred vessels after the distribution of the Eucharist (communion). As I discussed in the post where I talked about the installation of Lectors many of these duties are allowed to be performed by laity now, but it is still an important time for those who receive this installation on the way towards priesthood. A unique fact about Acolytes is that at least in the old Canon Law (I’m not sure if it still is or not, but I think so) they are allowed to bless fruit. I assume that this goes back to blessing the grapes that would be turned into the wine for consecration, but it is allowed for all fruit.

Tomorrow I am going to the nursing home again, but am going to allow Matt to give the reflection since he missed out last week. I have 2 final exams on Thursday and 2 more on Friday before being able to go on break. It is nice to be able to look forward to another break so soon. It will be a great chance to catch up with people and just relax. I am hoping to be able to go in to the class room of one of my friends who teaches at a Catholic middles school and talk with the students. I am not sure yet what she will want, if she will want me to give a vocation talk, talk about life in the seminary, a combination of both, or something else altogether, but that is exciting to look forward to as well.

Well, I’m going to get back to studying, I hope everyone is well.

Peace,
Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment